Check to see if the casualty's airway is clear. If not, examine and clear airway.
- STEP 1 - Support the casualty in the side position and tilt the head back and a little downward.
- STEP 2 - Open the mouth and clear foreign objects (e.g. broken teeth, food or vomit)
- STEP 3 - Place one hand high on the casualty's forehead to provide support.
- STEP 4 - Support the chin with the other hand
- STEP 5 - Tilt the head backwards slightly
- STEP 6 - Lift the jaw and open the casualty's mouth slightly
Remember, there may be spinal injuries. Never roll an unconscious patient onto their back as their tongue may fall to the back of their throat and obstruct their airway.